Friday, October 26, 2007

Butterfly Bombs in Boston

Madama Butterfly, Boston, MA
Majestic Theatre Boston
219 Tremont Street (Halfway between the Citi Wang Center and the Boston
Common)
Boston MA 02116

Friday, 10/26/07 at 7:30 PM
ORCHESTRA CENTER, Row P, Seat 109


BULGARIANS, RUSSIANS, OTHERS FROM CEE DRESS UP LIKE JAPANESE AND SING

I bullied my wife into coming with me to see this production of Madame Butterfly -- and then I dragged her out of the theatre after one act.

1. I realized that I really only like that one heart-tearing aria that everybody knows but that still brings tears to one's eyes -- and that is not a reason to sit through the whole business getting a stiff neck and a sore tuchus.

2. I hate this story! Pinkerton -- an apt name -- labor spy, private dick, collector of thugs -- is a first class pig of an American and, knowing that he is going to abandon his 15-year-old Japanese wife and she is going to end up killing herself, why would I stay through the end of this awful story.

3. I had forgotten that she had converted to Christianity and was cursed by her family for it; I had forgotten what a fucking pedophile Pinkerton is; and I had forgotten that the utter arrogance, narcissism, swashbuckling bullshit (aptly captured by the Bulgarian leading man simply by keeping his hands in his pockets)brilliantly characterizes Americans abroad.

Argh! I could not stand it. They say that the customers boo-ed the first showing of Madame B. I would have, but the audience seemed polite and I hate getting thrown out of places. Much better to just leave.

No comments: